Biography of Trevor Dannatt
(James) Trevor Dannatt RA
MA Dip. Arch FRIBA Hon FAIA
Doctor of Design, Honoris Causa, 2002, University of Greenwich
Born 1920, London
School of Architecture, Regent Street Polytechnic (1938-42)
- 1943-48Office of Jane B Drew, then Fry, Drew
- 1948-52Architect's Department, London County Council, Festival Hall Group
- 1952Commenced Private Practice
- 1970Formed Trevor Dannatt & Partners with Colin Dollimore and Ron Paxton
- 1990Formed Dannatt, Johnson Architects with David Johnson
- 2004Consultant, Dannatt, Johnson Architects
- Congregational Church Blackheath
- Laslett House, Cambridge
- Plante House, London
- University of Leicester, Women's Hall of Residence with Sir Leslie Martin. Also London University Precinct Master Plan
- University and City of Leicester, Vaughan College, and Jewry Wall museum
- Old Library refurbishment and Council Chamber, University of Leicester
- Needler Hall Men's Residence, University of Hull
- Fellow' Common Room, Trinity Hall Cambridge
- Science Building and Gymnasium, Rosa Bassett School, London
- Eltham Hill School new classrooms, and science labs London
- Pitcorthie House, Fife
- Housing, Poplar High Street, London
- King Faisal Conference Centre, Intercontinental Hotel, Mosque and Villas, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (1968-1973)
- Old People's Homes, Lambeth (Cedars Road and Union Road)
- Assembly Hall, Bootham School, York
- Ebbisham Court at Whittington College, Felbridge (Mercers' Company)
- Children's Reception Home, Southwark
- Society of Friends Meeting House, Blackheath
During this period, various interior works including conversions or interiors domestic: for AL Lloyd, Dr Bertha Malnick, Tom Hopkinson, Lord Elwyn Jones, Robert Donat, Mrs W Bowman, G&A Dannatt. Interiors commercial: for Wm S Ellis (catering), Primavera, J Walter Thompson, Lund Humphries, Georg Jensen, France & Sons, Dickins & Jones, Van den Burghs (Spry), Coach interiors for British Rail... etc.
- Lecture Theatre, Laboratories, and Chapel re-ordering, St Paul's School, London
- British Embassy, Riyadh, Chancery and Office building, Ambassador's Residence (Staff Housing Colin Dollimore)
- Arts Building, Preparatory School, Colfe's School, London
- In 1988, Trevor Dannatt & Partners (subsequently Dannatt, Johnson Architects) were appointed Consultant Architects to Thames Polytechnic (later the University of Greenwich) for Master plans and for new buildings and conversions which have included numerous lecture theatres, libraries, laboratories and classrooms, Student Union buildings, etc.
- In 1993 the practice was commissioned to prepare the Master plan for the University for occupation of the old Royal Naval College, Greenwich. Subsequent works included conversion and refurbishment of three of the four Grade 1 listed historic buildings, Queen Anne, Queen Mary and King William Courts. Also the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital and adjacent West Annexe.
- In 1988 the practice was appointed Consultant Architects to the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew for new buildings and restorations which included the No 1 Museum, the Aroid House, Constabulary and storage building, extension and restoration of the Orangery, etc. The Victoria Gate Visitor Reception and Facilities Building where Trevor Dannatt was the responsible partner.
- 2003 Marylebone Campus, University of Westminster, renewal and development.
Currently Dannatt, Johnson Architects are involved in a wide range of works, both new build and conservation, for public and private clients. With the practice, Trevor Dannatt is designing a large country house near Petersfield. For more information on the practice, visit: www.djarchitects.co.uk
- Numerous exhibition designs and installations, including architecture exhibitions for the Arts Council and Group shows (notably “weekend exhibitions”) (1950)
- At the Whitechapel Gallery with Bryan Robertson: “20th Century form”, “Jackson Pollock”, “Mark Rothko”.
- Recently: “Now You See It” at the Whitworth Gallery, Manchester.
- 1975-86Professor, University of Manchester
- 1976/86Visiting Professor, Washington University, St Louis
- 1995-2005Professor of Architecture, the Royal Academy of Arts
- Assessor for Council of Industrial Design (COID) Design Awards, Architectural Design project, Civic Trust and RIBA Regional Awards, and various architectural competitions
- RIBA External Examiner
- Modern Architecture Research Group (MARS) Hon Sec (1952-7)
- Cathedral's Advisory Commissions (1986-91)
- English Heritage Post War Listing Advisory Committee (1986-2003)
- Fabric Committee of Cathedrals: Lichfield, Portsmouth and, until recently, St Paul's Cathedral
- DOCOMOMO (Documents of the Modern Movement) Trustee (1991-present)
- President of 20th Century Society (2003-present)
The Architect's Year Book, 1948-62 (10 volumes, 3 initially with Jane Drew), Elek
Modern Architecture in Britain, 1959, Batsford
Trevor Dannatt: Buildings and Interiors 1951-1972, 1972, Lund Humphries
Buildings and Ideas 1933-1983, from the studio of Leslie Martin, 1983 (Editorial Advisor and Foreword), Cambridge
Architecture, Education and Research, Leslie Martin, 1996 (Joint Editor with Peter Carolin, Contributor), Academy Editions
Maritime Greenwich Campus (Monograph), John Bold and others (44pp), 2002, Dannatt, Johnson
Trevor Dannatt: Works and Words, Prof. Roger Stonehouse (256pp), 2008 (Major essay and commentaries on work, illustrations of most works and a selection of writings, Foreword by John Tusa), Black Dog Publishing
PUBLICATIONS: PRESS AND OTHERWISE
Architect's Approach to Architecture (Lecture), RIBA Journal, March 1969 available to view on this web site
Leslie Martin: TD Address at RIBA Gold Medal Presentation, RIBA Journal, April 1973.
Leslie Martin, Early Works: Architecture, Education and Research, 1996, Academy Editions.
Re-flections (Conservation/new build): Maritime Greenwich Campus (Monograph), 2002, Dannatt, Johnson.
Ove Arup, Colin Dollimore, Jane Drew, Maxwell Fry, Finn Juhl, Denys Lasdun, Peter Laslett, F L Marcus, Peter Moro (from various journals), reprinted in "Works and Words". Also Theo Gosley (RA Magazine, December 1994), John McWilliam (Independent, April 2007).
Comprehensive lists of reviews, exhibitions and press references to works are given in "Works and Words".